What is it all about?
The Township of Little Egg Harbor is to provide housing rehabilitation through the Affordable Housing Program to assist eligible residents with funding for major and minor rehabilitation to their principal place of residence.
This brochure provides a brief description of eligibility criteria, the application process and procedures
Who is Eligible?
- The applicant must be resident of Little Egg Harbor.
- The applicant must be. the owner. of the property and the property must be the principle at place of residence.
- The building cannot contain more than one (1) rental units and the principal unit must be owner occupied. All rent received must be declared as income by the applicant.
- The annual GROSS income (amount prior to taxes) of all persons residing in the applicant's household must not exceed the maximum income level established by State Guidelines. These limits are subject to change annually.
What documentation is required from the applicant?
The following INCOME DOCUMENTS MUST be returned for ALL household members. These documents must reflect ALL income, non-taxable and taxable received for the last twelve (12) months.
- Copies of the recorded deed and mortgages. These copies MUST show the County stamp showing the recorded date, book and page numbers.
- Signatures of the taxpayers.
- All applicable attachments and schedules.
What Rehabilitation and Improvements are Eligible?
Major Repairs or Replacements:
- Heating System (includes hot water heater)
- Plumbing (includes sewer and water connections)
- Weatherization to reduce energy consumption
- Structural damage
- Handicap facilities ( documentation required)
- Additional bedroom space (ONLY when approved by program officials.
Specifically when different sex children reside in same sleeping area)
- Stove (ONLY when a safety hazard exists)
Minor Repairs or Replacements:
- Minor painting
- Gutters and leaders
- Drywall and flooring
- Minor carpentry
- Repair driveways and sidewalks
What Rehabilitation and Improvements are Ineligible?
- Custom painting
- Cosmetic Luxury fixtures
- Purchase of appliances not required by code
- Acquisition of land
- Custom tile
- Retention walls
So how does this program help?
The Little Egg Harbor Housing Rehabilitation Program is designed to provide assistance based on the Program Building Inspector's determination of what eligible items are needed and does not guarantee the maximum assistance.
If you are eligible, a 100% property rehabilitation Deferred Loan will be made available on a FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED basis. A lien will be placed on your home which will be recorded with your property deed. This Loan (not to exceed $10,000) shall be forgiven ten (10) years from the date it was recorded at the County. During the ten (10) years, if you should transfer title or rent to someone for any reason, you, your heirs, executors, or representatives, must notify the Township and repayment must be made within thirty (30) days.
You qualify!! what next?
If after reading this pamphlet, you believe that you are eligible for assistance, the first step is to COMPLETELY FILL OUT and return the Little Egg Harbor's Housing Rehabilitation Program Application along with ALL the documentation requested. Incomplete application and/or documentation WILL NOT be accepted.
Applications are logged into the Applicant Log Book on the date the COMPLETE application is reviewed and approved and will be served on a FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED BASIS.
If your application has been on file for more than six (6) months when it reaches the top of the Application Log Book, your eligibility must be re-verified based on the requirements at the present time. If determined eligible, an appointment will be scheduled for an electrical inspection and a property inspection. You, or an adult representative, MUST be present for both inspections. A Work Write-up for rehabilitation work will be prepared based. Upon the results of these inspections. A copy of the Work Write-up. will be forwarded.to you for your review and comments.
The Program Building Inspector and the Homeowner will monitor the construction work in order to determine compliance with the Rehabilitation Contract. All work must be approved by the applicable Borough Inspectors as well as the program Inspector prior to the contractor receiving payment
What if I need help in applying?
Program staff is available to answer any questions or to provide assistance in completing the related forms.
For assistance, please contact:
44 East Water Street,
Toms River, NJ 08753
Between the hours of:
9:30 am and 4:00 pm Monday through Friday
THIS INFORMATION IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE.